To reduce the number of abandoned, neglected, and abused dogs in shelters within Colorado, Texas, and New Mexico by providing loving foster homes and medical care, facilitating adoptions, and funding low cost spay and neuter services.
We are a Full Circle rescue. We realize you cannot adopt your way out of the pet overpopulation crisis. MHCR understands that to solve this crisis, we much approach it in a multi-faceted way.
- We fund low cost and free spay and neuter clinics in low-income areas and in areas where the shelters have a very high rate of euthanasia.
- We provide training and behavioral coaching for all dogs and their human companions to keep dogs at home with loving families and out of shelters. This includes MHCR and non-MHCR dogs through our grant program.
- We provide underfunded rural shelters with vaccines and supplies to keep their dog population healthy while waiting for adoption or rescue.
- We offer an emergency medical grant program for dog owners whose dog is experiencing a medical emergency, but they cannot afford the high cost of treatment. Most owners in this situation must choose euthanasia or surrender to a rescue/shelter.
- We provide grants to smaller rescues and shelters in underserved areas that are doing great things to save dogs' lives but need financial resources to expand their mission.
- We educate our adopters, applicants, volunteers and community on proper dog medical care, effective training methods, overall dog behavior, the evils of puppy mills, and the crisis we are facing in large shelters today.
My daughter and I have been volunteering with Mile High since its beginning, mostly driving the rescue van to NM to help with transports. We connect with other rescue partners, helping these dogs get to CO and then to foster homes, vet care, and their forever homes. We get to spend time together and feel good about helping the pups.Lori Banghart
MHCR understands the rescue is only a slice of life for a volunteer and they wholeheartedly accept anything you can offer. No matter how small you think your part is, they make sure you know you're appreciated.Kari Dale
My very favorite part of MHCR is the work they are doing to help solve the problem of large unwanted pet populations and helping set up spay and neuter clinics in areas that have the biggest problems. I LOVE that!!Becky Gibbs
I have volunteered with multiple rescues over the years. Mile High Canine Rescue is by far the best. Their communication is outstanding and other volunteers are always available to answer any questions and offer guidance.JoAnna Chrisco
High quality, high volume spay and neuter is the best way to address the animal welfare crisis, and I’m so grateful to MHCR for sponsoring these clinics and giving me the opportunity to volunteer at them.Kenna Uddenberg
Nothing is more rewarding than seeing a pup who is afraid build their confidence and then earning their trust.Cynthia Martinez
Fostering dogs has been one of the most rewarding life experiences.Jodie Lynn
Fostering allows us to get our puppy fix in without committing to another family member! In true grandparent/grandchild fashion, it's great when the kids are here to spoil but also great to see them leave for their new homes!Jenna Vanderoff
Fostering feeds my soul. I love to see these dogs change from shelter dogs to rescued to loved and ready for their forever homes.Elisa Thurston
Nothing compares to the joy of watching a dog realize they’re safe and start to come out of their shell. If my heart breaking a little when I say goodbye means theirs will never break again, I will happily allow mine to break over and over again.Amber Arbogast
Little do my foster pups know…they changed my life, as much as I changed theirsBrielle Leichliter
Being a mom of three human kiddos, fostering has also been huge in teaching my children compassion and responsibility. When we foster we don’t just save a life but help to form a family member for their new forever home.Heather Ihrig
It is hard to describe the joy you experience when you see a dog who has had a difficult start learn to become part of a family and see their true, happy self come alive.Becky Gibbs
Fostering for MHCR made me realize how much I needed a dog in my life. I lost my little guys over 20 years ago and it took me that long to come to terms with adopting another. Best decision ever!Terri Gong
Fostering for MHCR has filled a part in my life I didn’t even realize was missing. Loving on these babies until the right family comes along is one of the most rewarding aspects of my life.Maria Hatch
MHCR does the best job at supporting their fosters, because they foster too. They do their best to get supplies to foster homes to cut down on out-of-pocket costs for foster families. They take requests for supplies and follow through every way they can. They're always open to communication and no question is too weird, stupid, or off-the-wall.Kari Dale